The foods we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink and the climate that makes our planet habitable all come from nature.
Yet, these are exceptional times in which nature is sending us a message:
To care for ourselves we must care for nature.
It’s time to wake up. To take notice. To raise our voices.
It’s time to build back better for People and Planet.
This World Environment Day, it’s Time for Nature.
This is an excerpt from the World Environment Day website. There isn't a better time to look at SDGs than now.
As on organisation built to be people & planet friendly, we have always taken measures to stay environment friendly.
Here are 10 tips on how you can be more #ForNature
- Avoid plastic - Not just in kitchen or while shopping, plastic can be where you least expect it, That faux plant on that pretty planter might look pleasing at first, but one purchase creates more demand, avoid it.
- Carpool or ride a bicycle - In a city like Bangalore, where we have apps for carpooling, use them. Switch to an electric one next time you are changing your vehicle
- Avoid buying new things, cultivate the habit of repurposing or buying second hand products. Let it be furniture, appliances or even clothing, great options are available. We only need to look for it.
- Carry a water bottle - This is one of the smallest change we can make while stepping out. It can go a long way in avoiding consuming packaged plastic bottles which are many time not recycled.
- Buy local - Whether fruits, vegetables, crafts, clothing or even home necessities, try encouraging local brands and markets.
- Avoid polyester in fashion - While shopping for clothing, always read the label and avoid buying what is made of Polyester, Nylon, Acrylic etc. Choose natural fabrics like Cotton or Viscose made from single source sustainable fibres.
- Avoid PU based products while shopping for accessories like belt, bag etc - Anything that is not leather could be made of PVC which are not bio-degradable and also causes greenhouse gas emissions during the production, usage and disposal of the product
- Avoid disposables - Anything disposable or one time use are not really environment friendly. If you are hosting a party, avoid disposable or choose natural alternatives. Now at relevant times, if it is a mask, switch to a cotton reusable one instead of the disposable ones.
- Go digital - Avoid printing whenever possible. Choose for digital copies of your bills, statements and other records.
- Buy Fair Trade whenever possible - Fair Trade ensure the process, product and supply chain is fair to the people involved in the trade. Try looking for Fair Trade brands and encourage the producers by buying Fair Trade.
#ForNature is the theme for this year's World Environment Day. While there are several ways you can choose natural, ask questions, stay aware, choose wisely and consume responsibly.
Let's start today for a better tomorrow!